15247/How Quiet is Too Quiet
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|How Quiet is Too Quiet|
|Date of Scene:||23 June 2023|
|Location:||Roof Tower - Xavier's School|
|Synopsis:||Jean and Logan discuss unspoken feelings, the future and happiness.|
|Cast of Characters:||Phoenix, Wolverine
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>It's a quiet morning on the school grounds, especially quiet up here on the rooftops. Since Scott left on his own on a solo mission for a few weeks and the kids in the brig issued a warning, Jean has started to isolate herself from the others more and more..It's quite the conundrum really, baring the burden of the students' safety on her own shoulders, but unable to get too close unless she gets psychically attacked again.\<br\>\<br\>Still, she does what she can from up here, scanning the area, cautiously, trying not to get too deep into anyone's mind lest she be attacked again by more alien minds. She sighs softly, brushing a flame red strand out of her eyes as the wind picks up..\<br\>\<br\>"Scott..When are you coming home..?" she murmurs softly to the sky..As if she didn't have enough to worry about here, on her own.
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> Logan goes up to various watch towers and hgih points. So, seeing someone alone, Logan did make hs way over by going down then across. She didn't see him coming nor feel him mentally, thanks to blockers. "He's a jackass fer leavin' ya alone so much," Logan says honestly and sits down next to her. "You okay?" he asks her and the question is genuine. \<br\>\<br\> "You've bene put through the ruinger n' he keeps leavin'. Kinda like kickin' ya when yer down, but I know he means well," Logan concedes that, but he knows it can hurt. So, he's trying to make sure that she is okay.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey sighs, not exactly surprised when Logan arrives even though he can be sneaky. She figured someone would eventually come out here on the rooftop.\<br\>\<br\>"He has duties as the leader of the Xmen, I get that..So do I.," she sighs and settles down on the roof's edge next to Logan. "So, what have you been up to lately?" she peers at him thoughtfully, looking tired.\<br\>\<br\>"How is Rogue? I kind of feel like she's been avoiding me ever since I scolded her about getting too cozy with Sinister."
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> Settling in, "But that doesn't make it easy sometimes. Yer withdrawlin'. Lookin' tired n' not just from the aliens," Logan says honestly and there's genuiine concern on his face for a moment. \<br\>\<br\> "Maybe. Sinister is a touchy subject wit' her. We don't talk about it. I think right now it's a Mexican standoff. She knows I'd stab him if, n' when, he corsses a line. I know she'll keep goin' to him fer help," and then he pauses. "But I don't know his angle. He hasn't been the devil to destroy the world, but he's still a devil." \<br\>\<br\> Then he looks out toward the sky, "Just X-Men go after people -after- thy committ the crime. Not before. So, I can't stab him yet," Logan thinks this will be a one day thing. He's not an idiot. Siniter -is- probably doing something bad, but until he gets proof. He won't stab Sinister either. Yes, he has thought about breaking into the Lux to find it. But the place is guarded like a fortress.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey laughs and shakes her head, "Can't take any chances, those three in the brig said there are others out there..Have they affected more kids? I could do a mind sweep but I might experience another psychic backlash..I figure the only way they are able to cause so much damage is because they have some sort of hive like mind..Which means I would only stand a chance if I have another psychic to watch my back..But with Emma on such good terms with Magneto and still part of the Hellfire club, I don't believe I can trust her.."\<br\>\<br\>She sighs again, shaking her head, "Which means without another way around it we are all sitting ducks..And if anymore kids get hurt it's on me.."\<br\>\<br\>She frowns deeply at talk of Sinister. "She is an Xmen but it wouldn't be the first time she defected...I know she's your 'girl' but I hope we can still trust Rogue..If She can't be open and honest with you about her relationship with a questionable character and known villain, then who can she? I think it's terrible that she is shutting you out like that.."
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "Not that I know of, but I haven't found the source. I dunno know if it was tellin' lies or tellin' truths," and that's the part that rattled Logan. Villains boast, but they also boast when it's true. It's really hard to tell sometimes when it's -just- boasting or when it's something dark and honest. \<br\>\<br\> "We might have to trust her," Logan warns, knowing that Emma can be predictable. \<br\>\<br\> Logan sights a little bit, "She ain't defectin'. If you n' Scott give her a second," he looks at her for a moment. "Like you said, ya got responsibilities. Scott, too. Ya both were busy n' she wanted help to control. Not sayin' ya wouldn't have, but when she wanted to start controllin' herself more. Ya weren't there," and he's not picking sides or trying to make anyone feel bad. Just explain the situation. \<br\>\<br\> "Sinister was there. She didn't want to trust the guy, but she felt she had no choice. N' Sinister has made progress. So, now it's like someone usin' expensive medication. They don't wanna switch to somethin' else if the first stuff has a history of workin'," Logan looks out toward the sky. \<br\>\<br\> "When Sinister crosses a line, it'll be an intterestin' day fer her, but I can't see her defecting. If anythin'. It'll break her heart," Logan admits and that's just the sad truth of it. It's an uneasy alliance on fragile ground.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey smiles slowly and nods. "Briefly for a moment, I thought I could trust Emma, afterall she assisted me in defeating and capturing the so called evil part of Sinister and we later analyzed the gem he was trapped in and confirmed that that part of sinister at least was isolated from the rest. \<br\>\<br\>"So there is some truth to their story that his persona was split into many pieces. it does not confirm that the part of him remaining is truly good. As Scott once mentioned he is more than capable of tricking even me, but I believe in forgiveness.."\<br\>\<br\>She shoots him an apologetic look, "That goes for Rogue too, I know she means well, I just wish she would open up to you more and trust us in general more, I don't want to see someone else end up manipulating her even if Sinister might have changed..Only time will tell.."\<br\>\<br\>She peers at him thoughtfully. "But I wonder..How much does she truly trust you..How much does she truly love you..?"
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "I think ya still might," Logan admits softly. He knows that's probably a long shot. Still, someone has to hope. It's just strange the hopeful one likes a good stogie and will slap someone if they give him domestic beer. He doesn't need the expensive stuff, but don't insult him with a beer that tries to be a friend or a silver train. \<br\>\<br\> "I ain't sayin' he's good. Everyone needs to drop that. I -don't- trust him. I'm just waitin' to stab the guy n' deal wit' the fallout," Logan says firmly on this one. In his mind, this is just one very long and complicated standoff. \<br\>\<br\> "Well, it didn't help how Scott came down on all of us. He's gonna lose team members if he doesn't curb the attitude. Trust me," Logan says that last part firmly. "Guy can't be like Lenny wit' the Rabit. Gotta ease up the grip or he's gonna kill the bunny," did Logan just make a literary reference? Hell may be slowly freezing over right now. \<br\>\<br\> "I know what yer askin' ain't divisive, but some people could take t that way. She does," Logan says this firmly. "She was scared I was gonna end it the other day. I wasn't, but her emotions were real. What I could smell checked out n' Rogue ain't that good of an actor. Hell, Brando wasn't that good in hs prime," he shrugs a little bit. Logan understands older movies sometimes.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey sighs and nods. "Both myself and Scott just want to keep everyone safe, but you're right. Scott can be a bit overbearing..It's why I've been trying so hard to plan a vacation with him, but something keeps getting in the way.."\<br\>\<br\>She glances back at him thoughtfully as he speaks of Rogue's feelings if him, a brief unreadable expression on her face for a moment or two before she looks away again. r\<br\>"I see...Then I am happy for you two..Can't say I'm not surprised, always thought you two shared a more father daughter relationship but..As long as you two are happy together.." she chuckles lightly but it seems a bit forced as if she's holding..Something back..
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "Just sayn' ya gotta just get it through to him. What he calls overbearin' everyone else calls insultin' n' offensive. It ain't tough love if ya cross lines," Logna says on that day, but then he stops for a moment. "But we talked the other day. It seemed like half the stick was pulled outta his ass. So, maybe ya got through to him." Logan admits that things have improved, so it gives him hope. \<br\>\<br\> Logan's quiet for a long while, "It coulda been you. At the end of the day, I just want someone to love me n' not think of me second. I deserve better darlin'," he looks at Jean for a long whle. "I'm always gonna love ya. Always. If It didn't, I wouldn't have been so mad, but it ain't fair to Scott. It ain't fair to me," he would always love Jean. "N' for the record. Long as he doesn't break yer heart then I'm happy fer ya. He breaks yer heart, I stab his," Logan says that message very firmly.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey frowns softly, shaking her head, "I don't think he was out of line for telling people not to cozy up to the enemy, given his own personal negative experiences with Sinister, it probably hits closer to home and comes out a bit harsher than he intended but..I will talk to him again, tell him to take it easy. And I hardly think you and Rogue count as everyone.\<br\>\<br\>"Being a leader means trusting the right people and keeping everyone alive, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be liked but people should respect where he is coming from and what he's trying to accomplish. That's all."\<br\>\<br\>Clearly, Jean is trying to play the middle ground, appeal to everyone but of course there is rarely a middle ground.\<br\>\<br\>Her expression softens a bit at Logan's response to the next question, looking a little saddened by it. "Perhaps if circumstances had been different..But we both made our decisions, I'm sure it's for the best. For what it's worth, I always cared about you too.." the look in her eyes suggests there's more to it than what she says but that is all she's willing to say on the subject.\<br\>\<br\>"I also won't forgive Rogue if she ever breaks your heart.."
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> Logan looks at Jean, "I know all that. But a leader knows when the moral of his team could break, n' that can kill the team. There's lines red and he's crossed a few of em' to a few people. He's gotta mend those fences," Logan says softly, yet firmly. \<br\>\<br\> Logan can see Jean is trying to be the glue that holds everyone together. "Jean. You gotta mend fences, too. I think lotta people got off n the wrong foot a couple of times," he says knowing that some situations caused tension. Even he felt that once, or twice. \<br\>\<br\> Then the expression softens and he notes that, "Yer the one gettin' married. I'd like that, too. I'm just sayin' mine ain't as locked in yet. Besides, I ain't the easiest pill to swallow. Someone could come to their senses," Logan knows he's not the best mind in the Mansion hallways. He knows some people are even afraid fo him. It's just a reality he acccepts. \<br\>\<br\> Logan says nothing about the cared about side, but he suspects that resposne is deeper than she wants to admit. Especially after the last comment, "We'll see. I doubt it, but I've been wrong before," again Logan knows he's not so great.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey nods, "True, I don't think Rogue's responses were fair either, I think some mending needs to be done on both sides sea of the fence with all four of us. Yes, there needs to be a good balance between boundaries, safety and freedom.."\<br\>\<br\>She chuckles and shakes her head at the 'locked in' comment. "We're not married yet, haven't even set a date.." she sighs, "Just wish he were around more often..Sometimes I even get to thinking 'what if'? but that's not fair to anyone I suppose.." her shoulders say a bit, upset about something..
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "It takes someone big to make the first move," Logan says honestly as he looks at Jean. Knowing Jean as the headmistres smay need to be that person. He says nothing more about that, but he is trying to make that point. \<br\>\<br\> "Yer further along than I am," h chcuklees and shakes his head looking out toward the skyline. Then he looks toward her for a moment, "What's got ya upset?" he asks with a raised brow.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey frowns softly at that response, jade eyes taking on a tinge of flames around the corners. "I hope you're not suggesting I owe her an apology, I meant every word I said.."\<br\>\<br\>As for her own thoughts, she just shrugs and shakes her head, looking away from him perhaps deliberately, staring at the sky. "It's..Nothing, really. I just hope I'm making the right decision. I love Scott..But he's just so..Absent a lot. Sometimes it gets lonely.." she seems about to say something else but shakes her head. "Don't mind me, I'm just tired and over worked." she forces a chuckle.\<br\>\<br\>"so, think you and Rogue might tie the knot any time Soon?"
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> Looking toward Jean for a moment, he shakes his head. "I ain't sayin' apologize. I'm just sayin' it takes two people to mend a fence, n' someone's gotta be the bigger person to start mendin'." \<br\>\<br\> Then he looks at Jean for a moment. "Sounds like ya got some big questions to ask yerself, Red. I ain't gonna tell ya what to do. Ya gotta find what makes ya truly happy," and that's Logan being honest on that front. Sky blue eye flick to her before going back outward. "Yer gonna tell me one of these days what it is." \<br\>\<br\> "Don't know. I'm a little gunshy lately. Whose gonna wanna wake up to my face each day?" he asks honestly.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey nods slowly, "Agreed. I think we just need to find a way to see eye to eye on some things. I just don't get why she is so secretive, skittish and falling back into old habits. Does she not trust us? Does she not think we can help her?" she clenches her fists around the edge of the rooftop as she ponders such things.\<br\>\<br\>As for Logan's personal life she shrugs and chuckles, "Might not be so bad.." she suggests with a playful smile, "Youre a little rough around the edges..Maybe you just need someone gentler, patient, more open.."
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> Logan looks at her for a moment, "It ain't a matter of secretive. Just people weren't around when she needed em'. When they were back one of them was a jackass about it. Just extendin' an olive branch, bein' nice about it," Logan says just offering that out there looking back to her. \<br\>\<br\> "I don't know red. Kinda gun shy 'bout that one lately," Logan says and shakes his head al ittle bit. "Maybe?" he says unsure what exactly it would take.
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> Logan looks at her for a moment, "It ain't a matter of secretive. Just people weren't around when she needed em'. When they were back one of them was a jackass about it. Just extendin' an olive branch, bein' nice about it," Logan says just offering that out there looking back to her. \<br\>\<br\> "I don't know red. Kinda gun shy 'bout that one lately," Logan says and shakes his head al ittle bit. "Maybe?" he says unsure what exactly it would take. Ocean blue eyes looking backa t her for a moment.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey narrows her eyes when he talks about a 'jackass'. "That seems a bit of an extreme word..Strict, protective, concerned, but it came out harsher than intended I'm sure." she smirks, "Extending an olive branch means acknowledging that intentions were good - on both sides - even if things were interpreted badly.."\<br\>\<br\>As for that last vague comment, she just chuckles and winks at him, "I'm sure one day soon, you'll find the right one when the right time comes..If things don't work out between you two that is. Who knows? maybe you'll find even someone as cool as me, hmm?" her tone is almost playful, if cautious.
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "I wasn't callin' -you- a jackass," Logan clarifies ocean blue eyes look back to her for a moment. Those eyes looking back to her for a moment, "Yeah. I can agree wit' that," he admits that intetnions may have been good. But a lot of missteps happened. \<br\>\<br\> A brow raises for a moment. "You are cool. Sorry that jackass can't see that. You deserve someone that would love ya every day n' be there," Logan's just being honest agan. There would be more said, but he holds that close to the chest.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey's frown deepens, "Please stop calling Scott a jackass. He is not. He is strict, overprotective and cautious, but he means well. I'm sure many would say you're a jackass with your impulsive, aggressive tendencies..But we both know better, don't we?" she winks at him. Something he says does cause her to smile sadly. '"Perhaps, but I wonder who that might be....?"
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "I will admit Scott n' I did get along better when we talked. Kinda concerned me. He seemeed off," Logan says correcting himself and admitting matters. He smirks at her comments, unlike some Logan doesn't mind being called a 'Jackass.' Plus, there is mirth to Jean's actions. \<br\>\<br\> "Who do ya want it to be? Figure that out n' yer smart. You'll figure out how to make it happen," he says honestly. Just him trying to be helpful.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey nods, "He's just tired I'm sure, he takes his work seriously..I do wish he would relax more.." she does seem worried though, clenching and unclenching her hands. When he asks for her input,she chuckles and shakes her head. "I'm sorry..I probably should not even gone there, that was inappropriate of me. In another time and place..Under different circumstances..." she draws a deep breath, tensing slightly, climbing to her feet. "No, forget it. I'm sure you and Rogue will be happy together, I guess it just takes some time for you two to adjust to each other.." she seems..Thoughtful, holding something back perhaps.
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> Logan keps looking outward. "I hope that's it, darlin'. I really really do," Logan is sure it's probably that, stress, family drama or brain aneurysm. While he may not hope for the latter, deep down, it would explain a lot. \<br\>\<br\> Then the sadness in her voice comes out. He looks down for a moment. "All I ever wanted was to be loved. Not second fiddle in someone's eyes. I ain't gonna say how everything will play out, because at one point I thought I was gonna marry someone else. Instead she ended up dyin' in my arms," and the wods that come from him are quiet, low and laced with pain. A wound that has mostly healed over, but the scar still reminds him of a very bad day. \<br\>\<br\> "All I can say, we all deserve to be happy. We all deserve to feel loved n' wanted, I think alotta people want their own version of the same thing. Not necessarily the white picket fence, two kids n' animals. But someone to make the bed less lonely at night. Someone that ya can lean on in thick n' thin. Someone that understands ya maybe better than yerself. Whether ya get a fence, a yurt, travel a biker gang, whatever, is up to you two," his gaze still focused on the sky. \<br\>\<br\> "I wanna be honest n' say, 'I have hope.' Sometimes, I do. Other times I don't. Been kicked down enough, even when others weren't tryin'," he sighs heavily then closes his eyes. "If yer truly unhappy, then find happiness. Just make sure they know they're the apple of yer eye," the eyes close for a moment as he just focuses n the stillness around them.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey smiles and nods, a bit of bittersweet reflecting in her eyes as she turns to grab his hands, squeezing them gently. "Love..Unconditional love. Isn't that what everyone wants?" there is a spark of golden flame in her eyes as she says that, as if the Phoenix responds to that, intrigued perhaps, by this curious human emotion.\<br\>\<br\>"Then whatever happens, I hope we will both be happy in the end with no regrets. You should never play second fiddle to anyone, and I.." she draws a deep breath, "I am sorry if I might have insinuated that in any way..You're a good person Logan.,You deserve happiness and true love.."
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "Yep. Well some people may not want -love- with it, but to not feel alone. There are people that are asexual, but still want some kinda connection. It may not be love, but it'll be less lonely," Logan says just trying to be inclusive. Also, every blanket statement has caveats. \<br\>\<br\> Her apology causes a large amount of silence to settle in. It gets comfortable before Logan speaks, "I loved you. Probably have since the moment I saw ya. Each time you'd go to Scott. Even if ya looked back at me. Those moments gave me hope," he looks at her for a moment. "Yer amazin', too. Don't ever think ya don't deserve any of that, too," the look on his face is honest and sincere. He means that.
- Phoenix has posed:\<br\>Jean Grey nods and sighs, still holding his hands, "I know what loneliness is like..The Phoenix more than most, but.." she smiles sadly, tilting her head at his choice of words. "If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.." she says simply, peering at him long and hard. "So don't give up, ever..Okay?"
- Wolverine has posed:\<br\> "Kick an animal down so many times n' see what happens. But I'm a survivor darlin'. I'll be okay n yer too amazin' to be lonely. Even if J-Scott, don't see it," he corrects himself and then rises up slowly. "Ever need anythin'. Ya have my number n' ya know where I live, n' maybe even where I drink," he says and puts a hand on her shoulder. It may linger for a moment, but it does leave as he slips away.