Jump to navigation Jump to search
Return to News Files, Atlas
- Official Name: Lordship of Genosha
- Population: 2,398,738
- Capital City: Hammer Bay (3°27'S 54°36'E)
- Government: Parliamentary Monarchy
- Major Languages: English
- Monetary Unit: Genoshan Pound
- Major Resources: Iron ore and steel
- National Defence: Genoshan Unified Military Patrol (G.U.M.P.)
- International Relations: Genosha is subject to international sanctions.
- Domestic Metahumans: Genosha is a sanctuary for mutants from around the world, promising peace and equality.
- History: Genosha is a small crescent-shaped island located to the northeast of Madagascar, on the eastern coast of Africa in the Indian Ocean. The island has two major cities, Carrion Cove and Hammer Bay, the capital city. A transit point for trade between Africa and Asia, the island was occasionally used by pirates until the British took control. It became an independent state in the 1960's. Genosha became a thriving country, one of the richest in the world. However, the nation's wealth was due to using mutants as slaves. The United Nations ceded the island nation to the Brotherhood after they demanded an entire mutants-only nation. Magneto and his acolytes eventually defeated the Magistrates and managed to establish a modicum of peace and stability on the island.